3.13.2008

Calling All Reps

I am going to go ahead and make a recommendation to all newbie media buyers: call your reps. Go ahead. They are nice. Next time you are reading an email and typing out a 3+ paragraph response, just back away from the keyboard, close Outlook and dial their number.

It's so easy to fire off a response through email - but articulating your thoughts is an important part of effective communication. I've had much more success in my role as a media buyer (especially in the negotiating process) when I've been able to communicate my goals to my reps and sometimes email just doesn't cut it. Maybe it's a background story about the client's business that will help them understand the campaign timing. Maybe the rep has had crap week and a short "nice to talk to you" conversation will open her up to a more agreeable rate. Who knows? It's happened to me on more than one occasion.

And you know what? It works with clients, too. They will appreciate the call.

No comments: