6.04.2008

Sex and the Designer Label City

Ok, I'm back from my exceptionally long hiatus. Went down to S. Florida to visit with friends and family, had a pet health crisis and have been pitching new biz. So life has been somewhat crazy. Apologies.

However, I did get to steal away for a few hours to take in the Sex and the City movie this past weekend. Although I was a little tainted by a less than stellar Times review, I still thought the movie was very satisfying. Kudos to the producers - I can't get enough of Carrie, Samantha, Charlotte and Miranda. Sequel, please!

As an ad girl, I got a major kick out of all the product placements in the movie. Product placement has become a big deal in media world with DVRs giving viewers an opt-out. The best thing about product placement is that is can do two things very well:

1. Add authenticity to the movie or TV show
2. Align a product with a character or event in a positive manner

In Sex and the City, Mercedes-Benz, Dior, Vivienne Westwood (the wedding dress designer), vitamin water, Louis Vuitton, and last -but certainly not least- Jimmy Choo and Monolo Blahnik all starred right alongside cast members.














So here's my take on this - Sex and the City pulls off product placement perfectly. The designer labels help paint a clear (although unrealistic) picture of these characters and the lives they lead. Brands have personality and that personality is reflected in the characters of the movie. So if you're looking for someone doing it right, this movie is a must-see.

No comments: